The Kentucky Playwrights Workshop, Inc. (KPW) announces that it is sponsoring its second annual 517 Playwrights 10-Minute Play Contest. This year’s contest, open to any playwright who wishes to enter, will give a preference to Kentucky playwrights in terms of both submissions and judging: Kentucky playwrights may enter two scripts and up to six of the winning scripts will be selected from among the Kentucky entries. As was the case in 2009 winning entries will again be performed as a festival of new plays; this year the festival will be held in November 2010.
1) Preference this year will be given to Kentucky playwrights and members of the Kentucky Playwrights Workshop and 517 Playwrights. However, we will accept plays from anywhere in the world as long as the plays are written in English.
2) Plays should run no more than 10 minutes, and be no more than 10 pages long.
3) Submissions will be accepted from May 1, 2010 through June 30, 2010, ONLY. Send submissions to email@example.com
4) All playwrights should write “Contest Submission” on the subject line; Kentucky playwrights should write “Kentucky Contest Submission” in the subject line.
5) Plays may be written on any topic and be either comedies or dramas; no musicals, plays for children, or adaptations, please.
6) Plays should have a single setting, no more than four (4) characters, and simple technical requirements.
7) All Kentucky playwrights may enter up to two (2) scripts in this year’s contest.
8) Playwrights residing outside Kentucky may enter one (1) script in this year’s contest.
9) Up to eight (8) scripts will be selected as winners of the contest and given a full production as part of a new works festival of 10-minute plays during November 2010.
10) A maximum of six (6) winning scripts will be selected from among those entered by Kentucky playwrights; a minimum of two (2) winning scripts will be selected from those submitted by playwrights residing outside Kentucky.
11) For purpose of this contest a Kentucky playwright is a playwright who is a resident of Kentucky as indicated on his/her drivers license or state issued identity card.
12) There is no entry fee for submitting a script.
13) Playwrights will be paid, in lieu of royalties, an amount not to exceed $ 25 for the rights to publically perform his or her play/s for the run of the show, estimated at three performances.
14) Winning playwrights are encouraged to attend one or more performances of their play/s and will be given two (2) complimentary tickets to the performance of his/her choice in addition to the payment listed in #12, above.
15) Playwrights who submit one or more scripts agree to abide by the contest’s rules and agree to its terms and conditions as outlined above.
16) Decisions of the judges shall be final.